How to Move Heavy Objects Safely When Moving Home!
July 12, 2018 | By DS Movements |
Moving house can be a stressful and exciting time, and the last thing you want to do is add more stress by injuring your back. Here is DS Movements’ 3 step guide on how to move heavy objects safely when moving home.
There can be nothing worse than a bad back. The crippling pain of every time you move it hurts, when you struggle to get out of bed it hurts and even when you sit completely still it hurts! Back pain can last for a few days, weeks or in severe cases months.
Pain in the lower back is commonly defined as lumbago. The interesting thing about lower back pain is that it can be felt anywhere along the spine, all the way from the bottom of your hips to the top of the neck. The large majority of back pain is caused by a sprain or strain, often induced via. heavy lifting; such as moving house!
DS Movements’ 3 step guide for how to move heavy objects
Step 1: Before you lift always take into account
- Individual strength/range of movement
- The size of the items
- Environment (no tripping hazards or slippery floors)
Step 2: The lift
- Keep your feet as close to the object as possible and legs wide (it is important to lift with the legs, not with the back)
- Keep your back straight, bend at the knees down to the object and flex your hips
- Grab a firm grip of the object, stretch the legs from the knees and keep the load close to the body
- Lift straight up, ensuring not to twist or move the back, as this causes strain
Step 3: Setting down the object/object too heavy to move
- Employ the reverse of step 2 techniques for placing down
- Bend your knees, flex your hips and remember to keep the back straight
- Alternatively, if the load is too heavy contact DS Movements for expert help